Welcome to the Members’ Section
The Members’ section is divided into two pages. Below you will find “Current News”- items relating to current events or issues.
An extensive collection of useful information including MMA meeting records, committee reports, gavel line survey summaries, etc. is available HERE
MMA Annual Meeting
Link to video of the Town Meeting in Time of COVID -RTMs session at the MMA Annual Meeting
Summary of the by-law changes adopted. The Annual Meeting adopted several small changes to the organization’s by-laws. Dennis Berry has prepared this very helpful document showing, the previous by-law text, the changes adopted and the new text. A copy of the current by-laws as amended is HERE.
The Gavel Line
One of the most valuable benefits of MMA membership is participation in the Gavel Line, an online forum where you can get answers to your questions and share opinions with other moderators. Current members of MMA can access gavel line by sending an email request to the Gavel Line administrator(s) using the following email address: GavelLineemail@example.com. Please provide your name, title (Moderator, Assistant Moderator, etc.) and name of town in the body of the email.
Planning a safe meeting guidance
- MA DPH Town Meeting Guidance 11/23/20
- MMA Planning Guide for Town Meeting During a Pandemic
- SAFE MEETING- calculating a safe meeting area– courtesy of Mark DiSalvo
- Massachusetts Association of Boards of Health, “Semi-final Guidance, COVID–19 The Role of the Board of Health in the Postponement/Continuance of Town Meeting” May 12, 2020.
- AN ACT TO ADDRESS CHALLENGES FACED BY MUNICIPALITIES AND STATE AUTHORITIES RESULTING FROM COVID-19 signed into law by the governor 4/3/20
- S2680 An Act relative to municipal governance during the COVID-19 emergency passed by both houses 6/4/20
Materials developed by individual moderators for miscellaneous pandemic related purposes
Declarations of Recess
- Editable Word file of a Declaration of Recess and Continuance from Alan Wilson that others may use as a template for the same purpose.
- Declaration of recess from Dick Downey of Maynard
- Longmeadow Declaration of Recess from Rebecca Townsend of East Longmeadow
- Declaration of Continuance from Chris Woodcock of Orange
Town Meeting Preparation and Execution Summaries
- Great Barrington
- North Andover
- “What to Expect” a document to be distributed to voters in advance of TM
- Materials from MA Municipal Ass sponsored webinar 6/3/20: “Practical Guide to Town Meeting & Elections”
- Results of gavel line survey on warrant reduction